Wednesday, July 27, 2016
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
Wednesday, July 13, 2016
“Nine times out of 10…Gridlock is not an American problem. It’s an American achievement….Gridlock often stops things the federal government should not be doing…”
- Columnist George Will, quoted in newsmax.com
Thursday, June 30, 2016
Luck is the residue of design
- Branch Rickey (1881-1965), Baseball executive (Cardinals, Dodgers)
Wednesday, June 15, 2016
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
- Attributed to Albert Einstein; probably first said by Alexandre Dumas
Wednesday, June 1, 2016
The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent
– Alan Blinder, Princeton University professor of economics
Thursday, May 19, 2016
…it is increasingly recognized by economists, including President Obama’s chief economic adviser, that in Oregon and several other areas of the country, the growing mismatch between the lack of developable land and escalating demand for housing is one of the most important drivers of the housing crisis.
– Rep. Knute Buehler (R-Bend)
Thursday, May 5, 2016
Alcohol is necessary for a man so that he can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed be the facts.
– American writer Peter Finley Dunn (1867-1936)
Wednesday, April 6, 2016
In real life, however, the compulsion to decree to one’s neighbor what’s best for him (and use the federal government to enforce it) is an affliction of modern American liberalism.
– William McGurn, The Wall Street Journal
Wednesday, March 23, 2016
The art of taxation consists in so plucking the goose as to obtain the largest amount of feathers with the least possible amount of hissing.
– Jean Baptist Colbert, Finance Minister to French King Louis XIV (1638-1715)
Wednesday, March 9, 2016
The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure that it is right…
– Late Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia