– Jeff Mapes, Oregonlive.com, June 12, 2014
Oregon Rep. Peter DeFazio on Wednesday unveiled his latest proposal for ending the long deadlock over federal transportation spending: replacing the 18.4-cent-per-gallon federal gas tax with a per-barrel levy on the oil companies…
A key part of his proposal is that the per-barrel oil tax, which would be initially set at $6.75, would increase every year to account for inflation and improvements in vehicle mileage. He would also raise the diesel fee, used primarily by truckers, by an equivalent amount…
Our Response & Your Comments
Attaboy, Pete – You sure do know how to raise taxes. Here’s how it’s done:
- Pick a target that people already dislike – “Big, evil, dirty Oil;”
- Tell Oregonians they won’t pay any more gas tax;
- Make sure the tax on oil goes up every year by indexing it to inflation, vehicle miles, the cost of ice cream bars and anything else you throw in;
- When the price of gas goes up, blame “Big, evil, dirty Oil;”
- When the price of food goes up because truckers are paying more for diesel every year, accuse “Big Food” of being “greedy;”
- Tell everybody you’ve cut their taxes and get re-elected.
Let’s hear it for Pete! His Momma didn’t raise no dummies!